December 21st, 2017
T’is the season to be jolly- or so it goes! But, what if you don’t like to show your smile? Or standing in front of others and giving presentations makes you cringe when you think about others seeing your smile? Life is short- way too short to sweat the petty stuff, like your crooked teeth.
Each day we wake up and seldom make the changes needed to be fulfilled. We put off goals, needed health appointments, or other ways that could make an impact on how we feel about ourselves. So, isn’t it time we change that? Why don’t we set a goal for the New Year to make and keep all needed health checks, and finally book all of the appointments that would make us feel better about ourselves? After all, we make everybody else a priority except ourselves! Repeat that- we make everybody a priority except ourselves. Now, having said that it’s time to change that mindset.
If your smile leaves you feeling flat or insecure, let us help you change that. These days one-third of our practice are adults shaping their Super Smiles. The options are endless as there are several styles (Clear, Stainless or Gold) of braces and/or the super-convenience of Invisalign treatment. Gone is the stigma of adults in braces/orthodontics!
It has been replaced by a new generation of adults choosing to live a fulfilling, healthier lifestyle- adults who are living longer lives, and with that are choosing to make the changes they prefer while still “young”. Our adult patients’ ages run the gambit from ages 30-70. Doesn’t matter the birthday number, what matters is how you feel inside!
After all, it’s never too late to create the smile you’d like – the Super Smile that starts from within and shines across your face.
Give us a call today for your complimentary consultation~
August 29th, 2017
Summer is over, you say? So, it’s back to lunches, driving carpool, homework and feeling like an underpaid Uber driver while you run around to different afterschool, sporting events. Take a deep breath….there, now don’t you feel better? It’s all gonna be ok. Truly.
Whether it’s running around during the summer to swim lessons, packing for vacation or keeping your kids occupied, each season has a bit of ‘juggling’ that occurs. Back-to-School is just another one of those ‘seasons’. Sure, it feels more leisurely when you’re sleeping-in or lounging around a pool, but you know you still have to make sure everybody comes home with all their fingers and toes and nobody runs away from home.
So, accept that this school year has started and take a few minutes for yourself. (You’re asking yourself if you read that right, and the answer is YES!) Take a few moments for yourself. Sign up for that yoga class that you look forward to, or that art class, or write in your journal about the hilarious things your child said to you that morning so you don’t forget (trust me, if you don’t, you’ll forget), run the kids to school and take a few minutes luxuriating in a hot bath before the laundry needs to be started. Take a few minutes reading through a funny mom blog- or spend some time with your favorite snack.
Then, with your battery (slightly) recharged you can begin to tackle the mountain of laundry, or the grocery list/meal planning for the week. You can actually speak in complete sentences and curl your hair, so as not to look homeless for a day or two. Get organized. Make all of those appointments that the pace of summer has convinced you to put-off, like a mature mommy would.
And, whatever you do, find a reason to smile- be grateful- be present in your day- be organized- be happy- and make it a great new season! From all of us at Sam Smith Orthodontics
May 30th, 2017
The right time for an orthodontic check-up? No later than age 7.
Even though most people think of preteens and teens when they think of orthodontics, there are good reasons your child should visit Sam Smith Orthodontics for a no-charge orthodontic evaluation much sooner. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends a check-up with an orthodontic specialist no later than age 7, and ‘Dr. Sam’ agrees.
Here are the reasons why your child should get an orthodontic check-up no later than age 7:
1. They're free of charge to you. Many people don't realize that an orthodontic evaluation doesn't cost you anything. Having ‘Dr. Sam’ simply evaluate your child is free of charge. But it can pay big dividends in peace of mind and the knowledge about what future treatment your child may need.
2. ‘Dr. Sam’ can spot subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth while some baby teeth are still present.
3. While your child's teeth may appear to be straight, there could be a problem that only an orthodontist can detect.
4. The check-up may reveal that your child's bite is fine. Or, ‘Dr. Sam’ may identify a developing problem, but recommend monitoring the child's growth and development. And then, if indicated, may begin treatment at the appropriate time for the child. In other cases, he may find a problem that can benefit from early treatment.
5. Early treatment may prevent more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated, or avoid it altogether.
6. In some cases, ‘Dr. Sam’ will be able to achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.
7. Early treatment may give ‘Dr. Sam’ the chance to:
• Guide jaw growth
• Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
• Correct harmful oral habits
• Improve the function and health of your child's bite
• Improve appearance
8. Through an early orthodontic evaluation, you'll be giving your child their best opportunity for a healthy, beautiful smile.
February 23rd, 2017
There are many wonderful experiences in life- experiences that “touch you” in a way that you will always remember. Today, I had one such experience.
A very kind adult patient of ours came in for her retainers. I remembered meeting her for the first time when we’d had her consultation. I remembered her tentativeness or shyness when we first sat down to talk about what had brought her into our office. She’d had spaces and crooked teeth that always caused her to feel insecure about her smile. She wanted some hope that we could work with her General Dentist to create a smile she would be happy with. I was ecstatic when she committed to having braces!
She just recently finished her orthodontic treatment, and with the help of her General Dentist and braces her teeth look so gorgeous, but more importantly the smile and warmth/confidence that she exudes is so apparent!
These are the patients that warm my heart! To see her smile in such a way that just screams, “I am so glad I did this!” made my day. This is why we do what we do. These are the investments that pay out in such huge results! To warmly hug her and congratulate her on her beautiful smile will stay with me for a long time. I know this external change has made a big change in the way she views herself. I’m so glad to be a part of this journey with her.